•   almost 8 years ago

General Suggestion - FTC

This is not submission worthy suggestion.

After analyzing the do-not-call data, the majority of the calls tend to be Card Member Services. One step, if this hasn't already been done, might be to talk to the banks about changing the way their customer support representatives identify themselves. Possibly having them identify the specific bank in their greeting. The generic "Card Member Services" greeting that some organizations use when legit card holders call for service provides financial organizations with no legal grounds to seek damages from fraudulent call centers.

Although changing their greeting is one step, the FTC in partnership with financial organizations may want to start a campaign to bring consumer awareness of fraudulent "Cardmember Services" robocalls. An informed consumer will be less likely to give over information, thus making the "Cardmember Services" scam less profitable. To keep costs low, working with major banks to identify what the "At Risk" population (Based on reported fraud resulting from robocalls) is and targeting the campaign at that demographic should help reduce the probability of a profitable robocall.

The fact that we continue to see "Card Member Services" being used by robocallers confirms that someone is falling for these services/scams

•   •   almost 8 years ago

A legitimate bank do use their legal name. The FTC is going after companies that use CARD MEMBER SERVICES.

•   •   almost 8 years ago

Sadly, even after the FTC claims to have shut down 5 different operations related to "Card Services", including our friend 'Rachel', the calls continue. The FTC claims to have "Pulled the Plug" on these services. Right. What the FTC did was file complaints against the offending organizations.

The complaints included charges of misrepresentations regarding the nature of the business, and violations of the Do Not Call registry. Nowhere do I see that they included charges of violation of the law (signed in 2010) that prohibits spoofing and allows for as much as $10,000 per incident up to $1,000,000 in fines. Of course, how the FTC would ever collect the fines is another story.

Until the carriers can be enjoined from accepting traffic that, with some packet inspection, can be determined NOT to contain valid ANI information, these clowns will never be stopped. Legal action that includes only financial penalties won't do it. It's got to be managed either at a technical level by the carriers or the law is going to have to be changed to incorporate criminal proceedings and penalties.

•   •   almost 8 years ago

Yes Earl! I agree! Where are the carriers in all this?

Also, I continue to get calls from Card Services to this day. So has it helped by "shutting down" Rachel and her friends??

•   •   almost 8 years ago

I don't know if I annoy robocallers when I do this, but when they call, I mute the call and don't hang up for hours. I'm hoping it's costing them extra or, at least, trapping this one robo from harrassing others for awhile. I am not technical to build a robotrap on my phone that sticks them something like call waiting but if someone out there can do it.....
    Anyway some tell me if I'm wasting my time doing this.

•   •   almost 8 years ago

@Cheery C - I waste their time as well. I prefer to actually talk to them to be absolutely certain I waste their time.

My record is keeping 'Tom' from some home security scam on the line for 45 minutes while I answered his questions with my severe stutter :-) He finally got tired of waiting for me to get my social security number from my 'mom', which of course wasn't true and was never going to happen, but goes to show how far these scum bags will go.

So I tell everyone I know who gets these calls to talk to the humans. The dialer can dial all it wants but there are only so many humans in the boiler room to talk to us and if we waste their selling time then their model crumbles.

•   •   almost 8 years ago

I believe, like on Facebook and other web sites, after dialing a number we should be asked to type in a specific code that will be verbally (pre-recorded) asked of us to enter before the call can be completely processed. If we are being called by a computer or even a telemarketing place (they all have a computer that pre-dials us and after we say hello twice then it goes to a real person) they will not be able to type in the requested pin number or code.

•   •   almost 8 years ago

Verizon and AT&T, and all public telephone networks, are complicit. They earn money from the robocallers. FTC and FCC should demand that they block calls from which robocalls originate.

•   •   almost 8 years ago

Patrick S. that's exactly what I was thinking. The FCC should be handling this!

•   •   almost 8 years ago

It shouldn't have permitted by Verizon's and AT&T . Annoying to people who use their phone for real business .