•   about 8 years ago

Here's the suggested script for incoming calls to end all robocalls...

Turn your phone's ringer off (or unplug your landline, if necessary), and check for messages every 30-60 minutes or so for the calls you want.

Use this recorded message for your voicemail:

"This is the voicemail of [Your Name] at [your phone number]. Due to the amount of robocalls I'm receiving, I am not answering my phone. Please allow me to return your call, by leaving a message. Thank you. Have a nice day."

Last Thursday, I received 12 robocalls; on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and Monday, NONE. I'm just sayin'...

•   •   about 8 years ago

This is a solution that is very annoying to normal people trying to get ahold of you. We all know people who always let their phone go to voicemail. It is very annoying. I understand why they do it but I tish they didn't find it necessary.

•   •   about 8 years ago

Believe me, I wish it weren't so, too! Actually, there is a method to my madness...

I return-dial all of my robocallers to ensure the wrong person doesn't get left out. So, in fact, I KNOW whose number(s) are being blocked. Some of the return-calls are to people who only had the wrong number; they are happy to know such, and promise not to call again.

I figure that, if you/your company calls me twice or thrice but won't leave a message, it's not important for me to receive your call. If you're calling my cellphone and your call is blocked (because you aren't listed in my Contacts), you're not a "normal" person trying to contact me.

Everyone who knows me at all, including my doctor, etc., -- and even those who don't -- have encountered my message many times, and they ALWAYS leave a message. In fact, most people commend me on my efficacious message. Besides, everyone has the OPPORTUNITY and is encouraged to leave a message. Take it or leave it!

•   •   about 8 years ago

I love your solution if it indeed works, but, i hate not having my phone on. It's like the robo-callers won.

•   •   about 8 years ago

Right you are! However, I live in Colorado, which is a swing state; so, the robocalls are incessant. I'm receiving upwards of 20 calls in a 9-hour period. It's one thing to ignore the calls but quite another thing to listen to the phone ringing, day in and day out. And I don't consider them "winners" when they can't reach me -- which is my intended purpose for this recorded message.

• Manager   •   almost 8 years ago

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that ChallengePost and the Federal Trade Commission will not give preference to any submitter who responds to, or participates in any interview. Participating in any interview will not influence how a submission is scored or a submission's chances of winning a prize. Please contact support@challengepost.com with any questions.

Best,
    Marny

•   •   almost 8 years ago

Hello Marny, I wonder if the "National Public Radio Reporter" is a scam? Wouldn't it be ironic that we are trying to rid the world of scammers and law breakers with this challenge and we get infiltrated by one? I see where she (I think it's a woman) has left messages on a few of the submissions. I wonder what she's up to?

•   •   almost 8 years ago

When you receive a robo call, engage the person for a few minutes then hang up. If everyone does this, robocalls will become non-profitable and they will stop

• Manager   •   almost 8 years ago

Hi R.Lee,

We have been in touch with NPR and Lauren's post is legitimate. We just want to let everyone know that ChallengePost and the Federal Trade Commission will not give preference to any submitter who responds to, or participates in any interview. Thank you.

Best,
    Marny

•   •   almost 8 years ago

A variation to Judy M is to get a human being on the line, display your excitement at lowering your interest rate, which gets the poor tool on the other end of the line emotionally involved, then tell them that you have to go find your credit card which may be in your pants pocket, purse, car, etc. then lay the phone down. Just remember to hang the phone back up 5 minutes later.

Also, understand that by pressing 1 to get a live human being you will probably attract more robo callers. Just think of yourself as Robo Fly Paper; protecting all the rest of us by tying up their time.

•   •   almost 8 years ago

To Bill J... I love it! I just don't even wanna talk to these idiots...but certainly will the next time I'm feeling "generous!" Love it!

•   •   almost 8 years ago

FTC and FCC are not holding Verizon, AT&T and the PSTNs accountable. They are earning lots of money from robocallers. The PSTNs have the technology to stop robocalls.

•   •   almost 8 years ago

Patrick S, I wholeheartedly agree! I have blocking technology on my old-fashioned Verizon flip-fone, but I have yet to see a Smartphone with the same technology...gotta buy an app...pain in the neck! I use a "special" voicemail message on my landline (see earlier post--two months ago), and that seems to work best for me.