•   about 8 years ago

Solution - Enhanced Answering Machine

The Enhanced Answering Machine is part of my solution. The whole solution is too complicated to outline here. Details can be found at http://sigma5.blogspot.com/2012/10/fcc-robocall-challenge.html.

Here are some highlights:
- A procedure for "logging" inappropriate calls.
- A method to capture the first 5 minutes of the call (hence the "Enhanced Answering Machine" in the title).
- A new procedure for the FCC to register complaints.
- A new FCC procedure for dealing with compalints.

Let me know what you think.

•   •   about 8 years ago

I'm thinking to submit simple-flow-chart-change to answering machine that weeds-out robocalls which can be employed in answering machines, Ma-Bell's system answering machines, and smartphone apps, so I leave details for submission to contest when it opens. I think that some kind of version of this in an answering machine standalone has been done already but might not have zoomed into popularity, thusly feel just voicing this here is safe as its simply a matter of emphasing & branding to get into these systems, more important than just my "win" at winning a contest. So root for this folks, its not that complicated or hard. Very simply, if flow-chart + system can answer who they are w/o going on 'n on like robos would then they're cleared to have the end-phone ring with a "one moment please, their phone is ringing".

Tell me if I'm missing something folks.

Thx, Truly, Jerry B
    Retired electronic engineer

•   •   about 8 years ago

Pat, your proposition is too manpower reliant and time-consuming. It is not quick and practical enough.

•   •   about 8 years ago

Satendra E: There may be leagl problems that require a legislative fix. But the recording would only be available through the FCC "complaint" procedure. Remember that I required that the file containing the recording would be encrypted.

Jerry b: If you think your idea will work, go for it. I don't think anything that simple would work.

Vinny P: I don't think an automated solution would work. I am the first one to admit that my solution is labor intensive. I just don't think anything simpler would work. I would be the first to salute a simpler cheaper solution that would work.

•   •   about 8 years ago

It'll work, I was an electronic engineer, it's easily doable.

•   •   about 8 years ago

technacally, it would not qualify for the contest because the requierement is that it actually block illega incoming robo-calls. I think the contest organizers should have some flexibility with such technicalities.

•   •   about 8 years ago

Interesting point Julio. But for end-user the phone doesn't ring & connect unless 1st sections criteria of human answering passes, so in essence its a block, but perhaps your point is right, they may be steep on definition "block".
    Not sure I'll be able to enter contest as my smartphone is having problems with submit form......the pdf upload works but seems its not accepting and form returns wanting still. Wrote these folks, no reply yet. Have no computer, so not sure can submit in contest at this stage.
    Jerry

•   •   about 8 years ago

MY SUBMISSION TOOK A DAY BEFORE I REALIZED THAT IT WAS REVEIWED. iT WON'T POST UNTIL THEY HAVE REVEIWED IT, THEN IT WILL APPEAR. ALSO, THEY WILL EMAIL YOU. sORRY FOR THE CAP LOCK. tOO LAZY TO RETYPE IN SMALL.

•   •   about 8 years ago

How does your Enhanced Answering Machine know who's calling when there is no caller id available, which is almost always the case with these guys??

• Manager   •   almost 8 years ago

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that ChallengePost and the Federal Trade Commission will not give preference to any submitter who responds to, or participates in any interview. Participating in any interview will not influence how a submission is scored or a submission's chances of winning a prize. Please contact support@challengepost.com with any questions.

Best,